9/19/2007

Inhaler

All pictures taken with Pentax FA 50 f/1.4


I have been troubled all week deciding if I want to upload pictures that I normally don't want to talk about. I make the decision to post some of Ben's pictures while taking his daily preventive medicine for his asthma problems. Ever since his first visit to Emergency Room around the age of 7 months old, his asthma attacks have sent us to many late night visits to ER and doctor's office. He is fine this week and all pictures are taken while he is doing well.

I still remember my last post where I mention about 'no picture today' and Ben has recovered well in his last attack and his doctor has bumped up his daily dosage of pulmicort. His asthma attacks usually come after a cold but his last one seemed to be triggered while visiting new place with new paint and dust. As a parent of asthmatic child, it has taken a toll on us but I never lose hope and faith that he will outgrow his asthma.
And I appreciate my sweetest Ben with or without his inhaler. He can be messy and a little brat at times but he is always the love and joy of my life. My daily favorite moment is holding him and kissing him on the back of his neck.

Life is much tougher than I had imagined while holding on to him in the first ER visit going through the pain in seeing all the procedures in helping him to get well. This post serves to honor my wife for her untiring caring of Ben on and off from hospital and outpatient care.




Links:Photograph ABC on 9/19/2007:



14 comments:

Mike said... @ September 19, 2007 at 3:50:00 AM PDT

What a shame for him. I hate to see kids suffer. I hope he grows out of it.

kml said... @ September 19, 2007 at 5:13:00 AM PDT

I am sure your care makes it easier for him. Hopefully he will outgrow it.

Neva said... @ September 19, 2007 at 8:08:00 AM PDT

My nephew(who is no 23) had terrible asthma as a child..inhalter, ER visits..you name it, he did it, missed it, couldn't do it....and yet...he out grew it(mold will still give him a very hard time) and is now working on a Master's in Opera (heis a tenor)....he said all that inhaling stuff must've made his chest capable of singing..he has an awesome voice(spoken like a loving aunt)....I wish you well with your Ben..he is adorable and the amount of love and care is shown in your thoughtful post and pictures.....

AVCr8teur said... @ September 19, 2007 at 11:00:00 AM PDT

It must've been very hard for you to post this. Kids are resilient and as they grew older and stronger, he could get better.

Digital Flower Pictures said... @ September 19, 2007 at 2:06:00 PM PDT

God Bless You and Your Family, Hin.

KaiBlue said... @ September 19, 2007 at 3:42:00 PM PDT

Oh my Gosh Hin, he has thee most gorgeous brown eyes.. What a beautiful child!!
PEace, Kai

Annie said... @ September 19, 2007 at 6:58:00 PM PDT

Blessed inhalers that give breath to our loved little ones, and big ones too. He is a beautiful boy.

RUTH said... @ September 20, 2007 at 11:19:00 AM PDT

Asthma seems so much more prevalent nowadays...something I hardly came across in my youth. Possibly it was not diagnosed properly many years ago. Wishing Ben and all your family well.
Rx

Hin Man said... @ September 20, 2007 at 2:46:00 PM PDT

Thank you everyone for the visit and encouragements. I appreciated the thoughts from every single one of you. I will hug Ben tight and offer all the blessings from you all. He is a tough little guy who will eventually outgrow his asthma and there will be a day his inhaler in storage room. Thanks again to each of you for your thoughts and kindness.

Anonymous said... @ September 20, 2007 at 2:48:00 PM PDT

Hin Man,

As a parent myself, I could imagine how hard it is for you and your wife.

There's one thing that I have learned from children: that they all have this big courage that we grown ups tend to forget.

I never knew about this courage until I saw and met children w/ heart-breaking health problems (I.e. tumor, cancer, diabetes type 1 etc).

Trust me, it was NOT a good day for me. I cried in the silence.

But that day has totally changed my perception about children. In fact, those children have taught me so much about courage and - life.

For your Ben, I will definitely put him in my thoughts. Li'l Emily will pray for him too.

Blessings for you and your family.
~ Annita

david mcmahon said... @ September 20, 2007 at 6:52:00 PM PDT

G'day Ben,

I hope you feel better and that your Mum is able to relax a bit.

Some of the best sportsmen in the world - swimmers, mainly - have overcome asthma.

As a former sportsman, I'm on your side, little buddy

Cheers, matey

David

Anonymous said... @ September 21, 2007 at 7:49:00 AM PDT

Oh Hin Man, what a sensitive post. I hope it helped a little to express how you feel.

One Christmas Eve when my son was 2, We were rushed to hospital after complications of Whooping cough and I can feel your distress and anxiety at being unable to help in these circumstances.

There is always hope. I've known people who've had weekly injections until they're quite grown - then it just eases and simply disappears.

You and your wife are both loving, caring parents, how lucky Ben is to have such great support.

Remember, it's always easier to share a load than carry it all by yourself. That's what friends are for! x

Great photo's by the way!

Anonymous said... @ October 3, 2007 at 7:58:00 AM PDT

I was browsing your blog which I found through flickr. I saw you're using a 50 mm lens quite often. I want to buy this lens for a long time now, so I was very interested in those pictures.

I'm making this comment, cause my younger brother has had asthma too. Until his 15th/16th he had it, after that he grew out of it. I heard most children grow out of it. Just wanted to tell you that ;-)

I just opened a flickr account, put one of my photo's up. My screen name is weeebo. Maybe you can find me ;)

Anonymous said... @ May 1, 2008 at 7:31:00 PM PDT

kinda looks like a cpap machine

Post a Comment