9/26/2007

Jack In The Box At Night

Picture taken with Pentax FA 50 f/1.4
Jack In The Box At Night with Pentax FA 50 f/1.4 & Picasa Focal B&WHand-Held 1/2 sec, f/5.0, iso 400, 0 Ev
Post procesed with Picasa Focal B&W

Not that I am a big fan of Jack In The Box, I took this shot for a personal reason going back in time to my past and the beginning career as a software engineer. My first job while in college was in a small software company, Horstmann Software Design Corp., which at one time was located in downtown of San Jose next to a Jack In The Box.

It was the good old time that I worked as a student of Dr. Cay Horstmann along with my best friends and classmates in College in Dr. Hortsmann's privately owned software company selling ChiWriter, a scientific word processor, and I am proud to be one of the few core engineers. I am a person of the past and this picture surely reminds me of the good old time working in the upper floor of a 2 story Victorian house next to a Jack In The Box and I missed all the laughters and late night works along with my best friends and buddies with Bing, Nhi, Jenny, Raymond, and many good old friends including my first boss and my best college professor with Dr. Cay Horstmann. I miss all of my buddies in college time as well as the smell from Jack In The Box. It was in that Victorian house office that I got my first full time job after college and my US Permanent Residence.
I thought of friends and co-workers that I have not had a chance to get acquainted over the years after Horstmann Software -- Calvin, Felix, Anny, Beneta, Christina and her brother and sister, April, May, Hong, Lei Hong, Michael, Tony, Peter, Margaret, Lucinda, Tracy, Max (Jochen Weiss), Hugh, Keith, Josie, Cynthia, Kwan, and perhaps few other names that I have missed unintentionally.

Surely I can smell the cheese burger in that late night picture of Jack In The Box. And it reminds me of my hours leaving work for school and home. This post is dedicated to all of my buddies and best friends in Horstmann Software.

Links:



10 comments:

Digital Flower Pictures said... @ September 26, 2007 at 3:33:00 AM PDT

That is awesome for handheld, Hin. I am glad to share your reminiscing.

kml said... @ September 26, 2007 at 4:51:00 AM PDT

It's great when pictures bring back good memories - thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said... @ September 26, 2007 at 7:31:00 AM PDT

Hin - that was a lovely post and a great memory. These days were very special to you, take care of them, they helped shape you into the lovely man you are now. x

AVCr8teur said... @ September 26, 2007 at 9:22:00 AM PDT

Great long exposure night shot. It sounds like great times, great memories, and great friends. Some things in life we never forget.

Annie said... @ September 26, 2007 at 7:07:00 PM PDT

Hi Hin Man,

As you said, I am too relaxed. I didn't even think about finding a J-photo for today. I wonder if I could go back and find something J-worthy in the photo of the ducks on Lake Winnebago? Nope, I don't think so.

Your Jack in the Box photo is just the ticket for ABC Wednesday, HinMan, and I bet no one else had this today.

dot said... @ September 26, 2007 at 7:52:00 PM PDT

I've heard of Jack in the Box but I don't think there are any in this area. I hope the burgers are good!
I've visited your blog several times but this is the first time the pictures would download. Really great pictures you take!

Neva said... @ September 27, 2007 at 7:37:00 AM PDT

OK..this is a good "J" photo for "Jack in the Box"!!

spindart said... @ November 9, 2007 at 8:45:00 AM PST

Hey, nice photo and I like your idea of connecting with old places/people thru similar places. Makes the pix and your meaning come alive. I used to eat at the Box wayback in High school! Cheesy Taahcos!

Anonymous said... @ February 19, 2009 at 5:15:00 PM PST

Hi Hin. This is Hugh Silin. You were my first manager at my first job after I graduated from school (actually during my last semester of graduate school). I can't believe that was already over 17-18 years ago. I was searching for something related to work, and somehow, someway, came to this page.

I hope everyhing is well with you.

Hin Man said... @ February 19, 2009 at 5:35:00 PM PST

I wish I have your contact information. I missed the good old time in Horstmann Software. I have been in frequent contact with Jenny, Nhi, Raymond, Bing and few others such as Calvin in Macau. I emailed Cay a couple of times and I have been in touch with him.

You can email me at my gmail account with hintheman at gmail dot com. I saw Max about 7 years ago and I had lost in touch with him since he changed job from IBM.

I still remembered vividly your description of Turkey journey that you shared with us in that special summer.

Post a Comment